Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hello!

   Hello!  My name is Tim Snyder and I have been gardening, and interested in gardening from the age of 10.  Now 33, I am creating this blog as a garden journal and photo (& possibly video) portfolio.  This is the first blog I have done and hope to get some good content up soon!  (Believe me, I have no shortage of photos!)  I have previously worked under accomplished Japanese gardener, Hiroshi Makita for a number of years, among other jobs, and am currently very fortunate to be a Professional Gardener Student at the internationally recognized Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pa (USA).
Timothy Snyder - Me in a tree
   I will share some of my early garden projects up to my most recent, which are a personal garden at Longwood Gardens (not public) and a Student Exhibition Garden (which I developed with my classmate Emily Mox) within the public display -which is the 2nd year it's ever been done!  I am very excited to have the opportunity to have both gardens seen by the attendees of this years' APGA (American Public Garden Society) as I hope to move into a career in public horticulture.  I have a deep passion for design as well as the hands-on aspects of creating a garden and its development over time.  I love making small spaces feel bigger and finding ways to have the garden be an engaging experience.  I also am in love with rocks and rock setting! 

   Thank you for your interest in my blog and I can't wait to post some pictures and thoughts!
Please join my blog to keep up with current posts! 
 Happy Gardening!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Timothy Snyder,
    I was doing research online about people who are horticulturist in the area. I found you and i thought you want to know about my project because you deal with plants and are a seasonal assistant to horticulturist. In my science class we had to do a mini science fair and we could choose any topic. My project was about pea plants and the nitrogen in the soil. In my experiment i was testing to see if the the amount of nitrogen fertilizer in the soil would affect the growth of the pea plants. I put 3 pea seeds into each pot and i had 4 pots.I tested this by having a control group with no fertilizer in it. Then i had a second pot with 3 grams of nitrogen fertilizer in it. Then a third pot with 6 grams of nitrogen fertilizer in it and finally in a fourth pot i put 9 grams of nitrogen fertilizer in it. The type of fertilizer i used was Milorganite 36 lb. Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer. This fertilizer definitely helped the pea plants grow a lot more. The more fertilizer i put in the more growth the pea plant had. i collected data for 6 days. The average height on day 6 of the the pot with 9 grams of fertilizer was 7.15 cm tall. This pot had the tallest plants it it. The average height on day 6 of the pot with 6 grams of fertilizer was 6 cm tall. The average height on day 6 of the pot with 3 grams of fertilizer was 6cm tall. All of the other days the pot with 6 grams of fertilizer had more growth than the pot with 3 grams of fertilizer. Finally, the average height on day 6 of the control group with no fertilizer in it was 4.5 cm tall. I watered these plants everyday with 50 mL of water. I had to create a lab report and gather research about pea plants and nitrogen, gather data and make graphs, a hypothesis, observations, materials. procedure, and 5 discussion paragraphs. This took a lot of time and focus to collect data and everything for our lab report.
    I hope this information is useful to you if/when you plant pea plants. Thank you for taking your time to read this.
    From,
    Kiley K

    You can reach me at kkerg20@germantownacademy.org

    ReplyDelete